Sunday 9 October 2011

Thanks

As a child I minded my Ps and Qs. No where near often enough to be perfect, but in comparison to the average child of today, it would seem pretty close.
Im curious.
Once upon a time I would have seen a little mouth lipping at his mommy and think privately in my head, what must they be teaching the kid? What were those neglectful parents feeding that poor child? Now, I wonder, is it like a plague on humans that over time our kin become less and less compliant  obedient, polite even? It sounds ridiculous, I know, but more and more I think maybe.
You see, I am a mother of a 31/2 year old boy, Elway and a 4 month girl, Isla. They, and my husband, are my life. I stay at home with them, not because we can afford the luxury, but because it is so important to us that we are the ones raising our children. Lately, for the last 6 months or so, it's become beyond challenging.  I try, like with all my might, to teach my son manners. I try to make him listen.  Usually I have to hold his head to make his eyes match mine, and then repeat 5 or 6 times what ever I was trying to say. Seriously. If I really want to be heard that's what I have to do. Fun.
So here we are, Thanksgiving weekend, and Im starting up the day with a sugar free breakfast. We'll be off to Granny's house in a few hours and Im terrified. Terrified that he will try to tackle his 81 yr old Great Granny in at knees. That, over in the barn he'll just grab some farm tool and club a chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment