Saturday 29 October 2011

Caroling For Charity

Dear Everyone, 

Years ago I organized a group of awesome people to get together a few times in the weeks before Christmas to go caroling and raise money for the Starlight Foundation. The charity itself was in progress at the restaurant where I worked but we were really far away from reaching our goal to get our child's wish granted, so I asked a bunch of friends and colleagues to help finish the job. It was an absolute blast and we raised a good chunk of money.

 A few years ago in Toronto, I tried to organize a Caroling For Charity again but this time for Sick Kids Hospital, but this time, although a few wonderful people were game, most attendees did not show, and to be fair the weather was so brutal I couldn't blame them. I knew it wasn't going to work though... the response I got from people was with raised eyebrow, and condescending tones implying I had just asked them to either admit to being an asshole or give up every shred of dignity and cool that they had. My response to this attitude is that if it's lame to raise money for a great cause,  while cavorting around crummy weather drinking rummy egg nog and singing off key timeless hokey classics, that is fine by me. Cause I've done it before and seen the little kids faces light up with Christmas spirit, and the senior citizens eyes shine up with nostalgia. We were even a touch too dunk-i-poo and accidentally sang to some folks who don't celebrate Christmas and they even loved it, and donated a pretty sum too! 

I know what you're thinking... another charity thing. I'm the first one to agree that it is overwhelming how many different organizations are looking for handouts, but if no one were asking, there wouldn't be enough giving, and  some people really need to receive.  Here is what I always say when I am feeling bombarded it works beautiful because it is true. 

Repeat after me: "Thank-you for helping spread the opportunity to give, but I donate elsewhere."

And even if it isn't the truth, that doesn't mean it wont be true soon, especially if you keep saying it! I figure you are bound to create a self fulfilled prophecy :) Plus it's clear, and firm, and polite. People who are donating their time to raise money are not out to make you feel bad for not having an extra dollar. They are not all heiresses to fortunes untold posing holier than thou. So please, don't be a bastard to people just for asking. 

Quick story. When selling stars for the Starlight Foundation through that restaurant way back when, I had brought 3 stars to a guests table and given my quick non-pushy spiel. The man at the table, practically growled at me, "Why don't you take your tip and you buy the fuckin stars!!!!". Yep. That's verbatim there. I was like, 22? He was about 50. I cried. My boss gave me shit because he thought I was crying over a bad tip. Nah. I bought the stars. Signed them from Santa. It's been years and I still think I'd recognise him.....
Anyway, got side tracked there. The point of all this is this. I want to organize a Caroling For Charity event again. Start out at a pub somewhere, bring thermoses of Bailey's and hot chocolate and have a good time of it! 

I know it's not even Halloween yet, but these things take time to sort out, and I haven't even picked out the cause yet. In fact that is part of the very reason I am writing all this. I have two questions.

1. Would you want to go Caroling For Charity?
and 
2. What do you think would be better, as in get more people out ... a children's foundation, or a homeless one? Which of these is more Christmassy?

I will also take any advice anyone has on running charitable events. 
Thanks and uh... goodwill to men :)

No comments:

Post a Comment