Wednesday 26 October 2011

All Smiles

True story.

About a year ago I was bartending in this high end Ristorante/Nightclub. I had just found out that I was pregnant again, and was knee deep in wedding planning. I was the happiest I had yet been in my life.

I have always been a very emotive person. What I feel, may as well be written in neon lights over my head. But on the job, serving, bartending, I smile. Not if the conversation across the bar gets real, you know, like say I was chatting with a man about his bitch of an ex or something, and not in the middle of a broadcast of some tragic school shooting or right after the "other team" wins the game... I'm not a jerk... but in general? I smile. I think it suits me, because it's genuine and natural. Even on my worst days, hungover and sad about some dork I never should have wasted my time on, I loved going to work, because, I'd forget my troubles, focus on the people and the job and oops there was that smile again.

Anyway, here I am working at my old job coming near the end of a day shift on probably a Monday or Tuesday because the place is dead, save the few guys at the bar I've been keeping company.

Tom (Regular guest in his late 40's): You know whats awesome about this girl (he says to the young dude beside him)? I have a shitty day at work, and I come over here after, and every time, BIG smile! I love it! You're always so happy, and full of awesome conversation.
Me: Thanks Tom. Another Corona?
Young Dude: What's your name? You are the most beautiful girl I have ever met in my life?

OK. He actually just asked my name, but I knew what he meant...

Me: Meredith. And you are?
Young Guy: Im Brad. (Or Jake, or Dan or something... doesn't matter. But he drank Canadian - I remember that)
Tom: Well Brad.... Meredith is great... she will always put you in a good mood (Tom was on his 4th Corona), so now you know where to get a beer and a smile! For real man, for real. (Tom always says this)

It's changeover time, and, we'll call her Wanda, the night bartender is taking over for me. She is a little older than me, a lot cooler for sure. She's got a boy toy, and DJ's for a radio station, and wears funky, kind of startling clothes. Like catsuits and black leather jackets and shit. Any way she comes in. She is usually nice enough, but not super friendly, and today is pretty much the standard. I think she said hi?

Enter, we'll call him Rob, he is the GM. Rob's kind of a dick, but he likes that about himself, and it's usually amusing at least .

Me: Hey Rob, how are ya?
Rob: Fine Miss Meredith... hey Tom whats going on?
Tom: (mid sip) Fantastic.
Rob: Hey Wanda. Did you get the till?
Wanda: Yeah, I'm counting it?
Rob: (To Wanda, they go way back) What's your problem Bi-atch?
Wanda: What?!
Rob: Uh- oh....your fuckin crusty tonight (smiling)..  OK, skank, let me know we're out of anything ( or something really charming and typical like that).

She finishes counting. Then comes over to the bar and leans on it to talk to Tom mostly.

Wanda: What the fuck! Why does everyone ask me whats wrong if I don't have a smile plastered across my face? Why should anyone just stand around smiling?? If I see anyone smiling all the time for no reason, I'll tell you why that is...it's cause they're stupid. Right? I mean what kind of an asshole is just happy and smiling all the time??

Me: Yeah for sure. (I nod and smile)

Well I just want to say something to all you super cool, serious, sarcastic women... you know who you are.

My daughter smiles all day long  with big bright intelligent eyes unless there is something wrong, like poop in her pants. If she weren't this way, you would complain about her. Catch my drift?  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment