Friday 28 October 2011

Carrot Addiction. Seriously?

Ridiculous. That's what I thought, but according to the internet, which never lies, carrot addiction is real. 
And now I'm worried, could it be contagious?


I have been joking around about having carrot addiction for a few years. Ever since my son was born, which is I believe when I started wanting to eat about a 2 lb bag of baby carrots a day. It was weird because, I also wanted to eat ridiculous amounts of naval oranges, and orange cheddar cheese. I wanted only orange food!?! Why? I have no clue. Perhaps some subconscious fear of how I will cope with having been roped into loving the Broncos for life? Maybe, but that was just a quick phase that passed. Whereas over 3 years later.. here I am still eating carrots like they are going out of style! I mean I will drag my kids out in the rain to get carrots sometimes, and if they were ever out... I'd probably go to another store. And if that store didn't have any... well lets just say I would be very mopey if I couldn't get my carrots. And I don't enlarge and bold my text very often.

By the way, any and every joke you could think up has likely already been made at my expense. My husband is supremely mature.

So anyway,  I thought the other night, just for the sake of curiosity, that I would Google carrot addiction. Surprisingly, I am not alone. There are quite a few carrot addicts out there! One of the articles even claimed that carrot addiction could be fatal. I must admit I find this concept hilarious, so my case must not be quite so severe! 

Anyway. Today we went over to the local Farmers Market, where I saw some core-less carrots and bought 6 lbs of them. They are lovely looking, more so rounded than the average carrot and my hopes were pretty high when I tried one. 

The review:
Delightfully carroty flavored with a crunch only my favorite root veggie can deliver. There is just one problem. This carrot has a core. There is simply no way to deny the core. It's right there at the center. I ate 2 just to check to make sure it wasn't a dud. Nope. Both have cores in the center. 

I am confused. Dismayed even. Why trick a girl? It's just mean. I had to eat another one to comfort the blow!!

And that's when it happened. My little daughter who is still just nursing was sitting right in front of me while I ate the last one, and she went through a range of emotions that I would expect from a rock bottom junkie that was sitting behind a glass wall watching people shooting up while pointing fingers and laughing at him or her. I lost track of the times she cycled through the stages of acceptance without ever really reaching it... by the end of my carrot we were both moved to tears. 

Initially I thought, she just knows it's hard and cool and her teeth hurt... but then I thought....OMG! I eat my carrots well before now usually, and then she nurses!!! Could I have transferred my addiction and now she is jonesing  for the carrot?? 

Well. 


Neither of us are orange...but come to think of it she was rather orange at birth. However, other warning signs including nervousness, insomnia, waterbrash and irritability, are simply not present here. So perhaps I've nothing to fear. 

Yeah... she still hasn't nursed and she seems OK now. I think we are in the clear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment