Thursday 3 November 2011

Quotes From Elway's World- Sick-i-Poo

Just before nap today, my son came in from playing outside with a toy airplane. He almost walks right into the kitchen with his muddy shoes on, but stops, backs up, and sits down to remove them. He hasn't even spoken, but I am suspect that there is something up based upon his instant obedience to my voice in his head.

Me: Just in time for a nap, Bear. I was just going to call you in.

No response. Protest or otherwise.

I can detect a slight deflation in his cheeks from their usual buoyancy, and his eyes are a tad darkened underneath and a touch bloodshot. If Jim were home and I told him that based upon these observations I want to take his temperature, I'd get 'the look'. 'The look' translates to 'just because you grew our child in your uterus, doesn't mean that you can tell every little thing they are thinking and feeling. You can't empathize their rising temperature, and aches and pains'....but he's just wrong about all of it! That is what being a mommy is all about, so he can just look all he wants and it won't phase me and he knows this. My baby is sick and I already know it. But if there had been any doubt in my mind, it disappeared very quickly.

Me: Kay, Bear, did you want to pick a story?
Elway: No mommy.
Me: No? OK, sweetie... are you alright?
Elway: Mommy? Are you a doctor?
Me: Well.. no, but I know a lot of ways to make you feel better. Whats wrong, Bear? Tell me how you are feeling.
Elway: Like I need a doctor to check my bum.

This threw me off at first, but then I remembered that at his last doctors visit, he received a rectal thermometer reading.

I feel his forehead and within minutes he is taking his Children's Advil like a champ.

He lays down.

Me: Ok, Bear Man, that medicine will have you feeling better in no time. I love you very----
Elway: No more talking mommy. I am going night-nights.
Me: Sweet dreams baby...
Elway: No sweet dreams. I'm going to get a doctor in Elway's World, because shots are good 'cause they make germs stay away, so when I get up I can play Lego with you.
Me: OK Bear. Love You.

And my little sleep fighter, was asleep in about 5 seconds.

He woke up crying once, but drifted back to sleep with some cold water to drink  and the promise of a popsicle when he got up. And he has been playing Lego with me ever since.

They must have good doctors in Elway's World.

No comments:

Post a Comment